HERON Working Groups
I. System Architecture & Networking
About Heron Consortium
HERON Working Groups
I. System Architecture & Networking Working Group
The System working Group has a system wide-view and in charge of detailed definition and specification of the Heron System
architecture, its required performances and use cases, functionalities, detailed subsystem architecture, interfaces, roadmap and final
PoC planning and integrations. The System working group follows closely the work of the global standardization bodies and Forums,
main vendor solutions and market trend strategies.
The output of this group serves as an input to R&D teams of HERON who are in charge of the planning and development of subsystems
The main activities of the System group are as following:1. Review, follow up and evaluation of 5G Global Standardizations, related Forums and Tier-1 companies abroad
such as 3GPP LTE-A Pro and 5G, IEEE and ITU-T, NGMN, Small Cell Forum, Facebook TIP, AT&T, etc.
2. Definition of E2E Use Cases and required performances for each subsystem and interface,
3. Detailed planning of the E2E system architecture and subsystems (Central & Distributed Units CU & DH, smart RRHs),
RAN virtualization, NFV, SDN, network Slicing and BB Functional split.
4. Detailed definition and planning of the FrontHaul (FH) and Backhaul (BH) architecture (xHaul) according to the required system
performances and Use Cases. Various technologies such as eCPRI/ORI, RoE and Ethernet are considered and investigated
over either Microwave or Optical infrastructures. Various network topologies such as Ring, GPON and Daisy chain schemes
5. 5G Radio Network aspects - definition of required interfaces and performances from 5G perspective for operation
of advanced features such as CoMP, MU massiveMIMO & BF, and Carrier Aggregation.
6. NFV & SDN definitions over NG Open Stack platforms for 5G.
7. Different aspects of interface with LTE EPC and 5G NGC in different development phases.
8. VNF and C-RAN requirements definition - VRAN and vEPC, RRH, and other SDHW function over Open stack.
9. E2E QoE (Quality of Experience) attributes, and support of Network Slicing.
10. Various Networking consideration such as cooperation of different RATs, Integration of WiFi and LTE-U and LAA,
Multilayer heterogeneous networks, Small Cells, hot spots, Relays, D2D and advanced SON features.
11. 5G Scheduler processes definition, performance and operations (Central & Distributed SON).
12. Time & frequency synchronization for Air interface and FH, synchronization redundancy and dynamic allocation
of resources based on sync performance.
13. L1-L2 reference Time and Frequency synchronization for 5G networks.
14. Monitoring and validation of network synchronization solutions and as part of the vRAN and sRRHs through Fronthaul.
15. Analysis of the mmWave propagation models and deployment strategies in various channel conditions based on GIS database,
for either access or backhaul layers.
16. Definition of System / subsystem simulations, coverage and detailed definition of the final PoC.